Thursday, 19 June 2014

100 lime custard tarts (to die for!)


My husband's mum gave me her old muffin tins years ago - and whatever I bake in them tastes better, I am convinced. I have used them hundreds of times for hundreds of things and today they have turned out one hundred lime custard tarts for a lovely wedding tomorrow. 


 I am reposting an old post tonight because I have just completed the 100 lime custard tarts marathon again in advance of tomorrow's lovely garden wedding. I've turned the potting shed summer house into a pudding shed for the day and will be filling it with these custard tarts, lemon cheesecake, a bare naked wedding cake - made by moi - , chocolate mousse jam jars and banoffee pie. Oh and my white chocolate and pistachio meringues, my rose glass bowl filled with strawberries and some whipped cream. We're serving also serving a grazing buffet AND a BBQ tomorrow - the 2 go well together. Plus the forecast is good!



My only challenge now is to hide them from my husband, who will shamelessly eat them all if given half the chance. Which is why I know there are one hundred. So that I can catch him out later on today. You have been warned, Mr Fitzgerald


 Recipe (makes about 12 depending on size of muffin tin)

Puff pastry
400 ml custard (make your own, as I did, or use a good shop bought one - Sainsbury's luxury custard is to die for!)
2 eggs
juice and zest of 1 lime
1 tbsp lemon balm

Line the muffin sections with puff pastry rolled out to about 1/4 inch
Mix all the rest of the ingredients together. Pour into the individual pastry cases and bake at 170 degrees (fan oven) for 30 - 35 mins. 

They'll rise in the oven and then deflate again when you take them out. Don't worry, this is normal.
Hide from husbands.

6 comments:

Lotte and Bloom said...

the blog looks wonderful, lovely photography too...i'll look forward to reading your foodie posts xx

Calico Kate said...

My 'lovely' today refers to the tin which is, very, but not to the tarts as I'm not a custard tart kind of a gal!
CKx
(PS. It's NOT a muffin tin btw, as they didn't have muffins then!!)

mycustardpie.com said...

Found your blog via Fabulicious Food and so glad I did. Your down to earth approach to food and flavours must go down extremely well at weddings. Real people want to eat real food - especially the custard tarts!

Carole Fitzgerald said...

Thankyou all. Kate - I've always called these wee tins muffin tins. What do you call them. And mycustardpie - thankyou - I hope that people do enjoy the 'real' factor. I can't bear poncy over styled and over flavoured food. That said, I'm about to start making pea panacotta! I'll report back!

Kate MacDonald said...

Just baking trays really!
Lovely comments here.
CKx

Miss K Donaldson said...

I can testify from 1st hand experience that these tasted DEVINE :-)