Tuesday, 30 August 2011

Things to do with 50 lemons..part 2

Lemon curd is one of my favourite things ever. Spread on toast. Sandwiching sponge cakes. Whipped with mascarpone and creme fraiche to top blueberries sprinkled with demerara ( I call this my blueberry trifle.) I can also quite easily eat it by the spoonful. And once you have sampled home-made, you will never ever ever go back to shop bought.

This is also one of my 'core' recipes - it's incredibly flexible and I always take at least a kilner jar full with me when I'm catering for large numbers. Oh, and 9 lemons to go!



Recipe
Juice of 6 lemons
Zest of 4 lemons
350g castor sugar
4 medium eggs
250g butter/cubed

Place half the butter and all of the other ingredients in a heavy based saucepan. Break up the eggs with a fork. Over a medium heat, whisk continuously until the mixture comes to the boil - make sure to scrape around the edges (the eggs can easily catch and scramble.)

Remove the pan from the heat and add the rest of the butter.

Cool and pour into sterilised containers. 

Lemon curd will keep for about 4 days in the fridge.


7 comments:

Calico Kate said...

Mmmm Lovley. Used to hate it now, sadly for my waistline, I love it!
CKx

Choclette said...

Amazingly I haven't yet made lemon curd - lime yes, apricot yes, rhubarb yes, but never lemon. I really must remedy this situation soon. That's a beautifully lemon yellow you've achieved. Lovely pictures.

Carole Fitzgerald said...

Thankyou both. Choclette, took a look at your blog and loved the rose challenge and recipes from all of those who 'rose' to it!

cara said...

I've always hated lemon curd but I had homemade stuff recently and ohmygawd, amazing.

seafieldfarm said...

If it doesn't make you gasp in horror, making it in the microwave does away with the danger of scrambled curd.

The Cookie Jar said...

It is lovely swirled through cream and meringues broken up. A bit like eaton mess.

Carole Fitzgerald said...

Cookie jar - that sounds delicious! Making meringues again today so will try this!